FAQ on Student Life

Who is my child’s counselor?

Our student services department is divided into alphabet by student last name.

Krista Thompson Anna Barcenas TaVaris Johnson Kaleigh McCoy
krista.thompson@lwcharterschools.com anna.barcenas@lwcharterschools.com tavaris.johnson@lwcharterschools.com kaleigh.mccoy@lwcharterschools.com
Students with last names A-E 

Community Service


Students with last names F-L 

Guided Work/OJT


Students with last names M-R 


Students with last names S-Z 

IB 11th/12th



What are the graduation requirements?

Class of 2015: http://www.fldoe.org/bii/studentpro/pdf/1112Flyer.pdf
Class of 2016: http://www.fldoe.org/bii/studentpro/pdf/1213juniorFlyer.pdf

Class of 2017: https://www.fldoe.org/bii/studentpro/pdf/Grad1314.pdf

Class of 2018: http://www.fldoe.org/bii/studentpro/pdf/1415freshmenFlyer.pdf


How do I monitor academic progress of my child?

Parents/guardians are able to monitor the progress of their child(ren) through several modes:

  • Interim Reports/Report Cards – Each 9 weeks a report card will be printed and sent home with the student. Half-way through the 9 week period, an interim report will also be printed and sent home. Please pay close attention to the LWCS calendar for these dates.
  • Pinnacle Parent Viewer – Obtain the PIN for each of your students by visiting the school, obtaining the PIN Request Form from school, or contacting the Student Services Secretary (Brenda Smith; 863-678-4222; smith@lwcharterschools.com).
  • Weekly Missing Assignment Reports – Each Wednesday students will receive a listing of their missing assignments in all courses from their English teacher. It is important they pay close attention to this and work to make up work through H2H (hour lunch with time available for tutoring, make up work, etc.), before or after school.
  • Teacher Communication – Parents/Guardians are welcome to contact their student’s teachers through email at any time. All staff emails are formatted the same (firstname.lastname@lwcharterschools.com).


How does my student obtain make up work?

Students who miss four or less days should contact each teacher to obtain make up work upon their return. If the absence is five or more days, parents should contact the front office and submit a request to obtain missing work. Please allow staff at least 24 hours to process this request.


How do I schedule a parent conference?

From time to time, parents/guardians may wish to schedule a meeting with all of their student’s teachers. We encourage this communication at any time throughout the school year.


To schedule a parent conference, please contact Student Services to schedule an appointment (brenda.smith@lwcharterschools.com or 863-678-4222).



What is required to obtain Bright Futures Scholarship?

The requirements are more stringent each year. To view what is required for your projected year of graduation, go to http://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/SSFAD/bf/.


Do I need to take the SAT or ACT? When do I take it? How do I sign up for the SAT/ACT? How much is it?

  • We recommend that all students take the SAT and/or ACT. While these tests can be used for concordant scores for the State Reading test, they are primarily used for entrance into college.
  • We recommend a student take the PSAT or the PLAN test in 10th grade and take the SAT & ACT in 11th grade. Students are certainly welcome to take either of these tests earlier in your high school career; however, the math portion will test concepts through Algebra 2. This is the reason we recommend doing the practice tests (PSAT and/or PLAN) until the Junior year.
  • Registration for the SAT and ACT are both online. To register for SAT, go to sat.collegeboard.org. To register for the ACT, go to www.actstudent.org.
    The price of these tests may vary from year to year. Current ACT fees are $38 (No Writing) and $54.50 (Plus Writing). Current SAT fees are $52. A waiver to cover the test fee is available to your child if they receive free or reduced lunch. To obtain a waiver, please see Student Services. Keep in mind, only two waivers may be used for each test throughout their lifetime.


When do I register for next year’s classes?

We will conduct registration for next school year around the beginning of December/January.


What do I do if I have a class on my schedule that I want to change?

Changes will be made to student schedules at the beginning of the year (during the first week of school). After that time, we encourage you to speak with the teacher involved in the situation and your child’s professional school counselor to help resolve issues. You may also contact administration if there are extreme circumstances. We desire to work with you to help your child succeed as opposed to removing them from a classroom once the school year is well underway.


What is Dual Enrollment and how do I participate?

Dual enrollment allows high school students an opportunity to enroll in postsecondary courses and receive both high school and postsecondary credit.


Dual enrollment is an acceleration program that allows secondary students to take postsecondary coursework and simultaneously earn credit toward high school completion and an industry certification or an associate or baccalaureate degree at a Florida public or eligible private institution.


Lake Wales High School partners with Polk State College to offer college courses to our high school students. Students who are interested in dual enrolling must have a 3.0 unweighted GPA, at least six high school credits, and college level Post-secondary Education Readiness Test (PERT) scores. Once qualified, students may take one course per semester as a 10th grader, two courses per semester as an 11th grader, and three courses per semester as a 12th grader. Students interested in dual enrolling should see their professional school counselor.


More information may be found at the following website:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.